Matthew 5:20

Discussion of various passages of Scripture.
pastord
Site Admin

Matthew 5:20

Post by pastord » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 pm

"... unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." What do you think this looks like?
It takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts. - Robert H. Schuller

Thomas

Re: Matthew 5:20

Post by Thomas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 pm

i think that from the average person of that day, the Scribes an Pharisees appeared to be the best of the best, the closest to heaven....

pastord
Site Admin

Post by pastord » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I think you're right!
It takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts. - Robert H. Schuller

pastord
Site Admin

Post by pastord » Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 am

I mentioned this in Sunday's message. Jesus announced that he was the "Light of the world" and it was the scribes and Pharisees that refused to recognize him as the Light of the world. Over and over in John they challenged and questioned him. One of the saddest verses in the Bible is found in the context of Jesus being questioned by the Pharisees. "Once more Jesus said to them, 'I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come'" (John 8:21). Yet, Jesus said that our righteousness needs to exceed theirs. Perhaps he was saying that they had zero righteousness or self righteousness.